Open Research and Contributor Identifier
Nanjing Medical University, Ph.D., 2007
Nantong Medical College, M.S., 2001
Nantong Medical College, B.S., 1998
- Associate Scientist ("Research Associate Professor"), Indiana University, (2019.7present)
- Assistant Scientist ("Research Assistant Professor") , Indiana University, (2013.22019.6)
- Visiting Assistant Scientist ("Visiting Research Assistant Professor"), Indiana University (2012.102013.2)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (2008.82012.10)
- Assistant Professor / Lecturer, Nantong University, Jiangsu, China (2004.52008.7)
- Teaching Assistant, Nantong Medical College, Jiangsu, China (2001.82004.4)
- Editorial Board Member, BMC Cancer, United Kingdom (2019)
- Grant Reviewer, Medical Research Council, Swindon, United Kingdom (2018)
- NIH Reviewer, Early Career Reviewer program (ECR) at the Center for Scientific Review (CSR), National Institute of Health (NIH), USA (2016)
- Young Investigator Travelling Grant Award, American Diabetes Association, USA (2013)
- Outstanding Reviewer, Annals of Internal Medicine, American College of Physicians, USA (2012)
- Postdoctoral Award for Research Excellence, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA (2011)
- Distinguished Achievements on Education and Teaching, School of Public Health, Nantong University, Jiangsu, China (2007)
- The 2nd Prize of Jiangsu Excellent Teaching Achievements, Bureau of Education, Jiangsu, China (2004)
Dr. Xun's research interests mainly lie in:
- Applied statistical methods into broad areas such as public health, medicine, and biology. The methods include (but are not limited to) compute-intensive methods, dimension reduction as well as pattern recognition techniques for high dimensional data (such as microarray, virus sequence, proteomics, GWAS, metabolomics, miRNA, microbiome, and NGS data), multiple imputation, causal inference, propensity score analysis, generalized linear mixed model, latent class analysis, structural equation model, and item response theory.
- Meta-analysis (MA) and systematic review; MA includes traditional MA, network MA, Bayesian multivariate MA, multilevel MA, MA under structure equation model framework, etc.
- Nutrients (including trace minerals), food groups, and dietary patterns in relation to risk of chronic diseases (e.g., cardiovascular diseases, type 2 diabetes, obesity, cognitive decline, aging, and cancer).
Current Research Support
- NIH-R01 DK118939 (Fontaine K., & Dutton, G.; Sub-contractor PI: Allison, D.): 20192024
Title: Daily self-weighing for promoting obesity management in primary care
- NIH-R01AG057703 (Allison, D.): 20182021
Title: Obesity and longevity across generations
- NIH-R01DK116603 (He, K.; Sub-contractor PI: Fly, A.): 20182020
Title: Trace mineral levels, metabolomics, and diabetes risk
Completed Research Support (selected)
- Herbalife Project (Allison, D., & Xun, P.): 20182019
Title: Evaluation on efficacy and safety of Herbalife’s Formula 1 product as a meal replacement in weight management: a meta-analysis of clinical trials
- NIH-R21HD086451 (Yang, J.): 20162018
Title: Optimal physical and cognitive rest after sports-related concussions among youth
- RWJF7273 (Yang, J.): 20142016
Title: Youth sports TBI Laws: measuring public health impact on initial and recurrent concussions
Role: Biostatistics Consultant
NIH: National Institute of Health; RWJF: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- SPH Q611 Statistics Packages in Research (Lecturer)
- SPH Q502 Intermediate Statistics in Public Health (Guest lecturer)
- SPH E650 Nutrition Epidemiology (Guest lecturer)
- SPH E659 Advanced Epidemiology Methods (Guest lecturer)
- SPH E794 Doctoral Seminar (Guest lecturer)
Peer-reviewed Articles in English (from n=90)
(*: first or co-first author, †: corresponding or co-corresponding author)
Shen, Y.*, Jia Y., Zhou, J., Ji, J.†, & Xun, P†. (2019). Bayesian network meta-analysis for assessing adverse effects of anti-hepatitis B drugs. Clinical Drug Investigation Jun 21. DOI: 10.1007/s40261-019-00802-8. PMID: 31228017.
Yang, J*,†, Yeates, KO, Sullivan, L., Singichetti, B., Newton, A., Xun, P., Taylor, HG., MacDonald, J., Pommering, T., Tiso, M., Cohen, D., & Lu, Z. (2019). Rest evaluation for active concussion treatment (ReAct) protocol: a prospective cohort study of levels of physical and cognitive rest after youth sports-related concussion. BMJ Open 9 (4): e028386. DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2018-028386. PMID: 31015276.
Cui, X.*, Wang, B., Wu, Y., Xie, L., Xun, P., Tang, Q., Cai, W. †, & Shen, X†. (2019). Vegetarians have a lower fasting insulin level and higher insulin sensitivity than matched omnivores: a cross-sectional study. Nutrition, Metabolism & Cardiovascular Diseases 29(5):467-73. PMID: 30956029.
Yang, J. *, †, Comstock R., Yi, H., Harvey H., & Xun, P. (2017). New and Recurrent Concussions in High-School Athletes Before and After Traumatic Brain Injury Laws, 2005-2016. American Journal of Public Health 107(12):1916-22. PMID: 20948967.
Feng, H.*, Xun, P.*, Pike, K., Wills, A., Chawes, B., Bisgaard, H., Cai, W., Wan Y.†, & He, K†. (2017). In utero exposure to 25-hydroxyvitamin D and risk of childhood asthma, wheeze and respiratory tract infections: a meta-analysis of birth cohort studies. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 139(5):1508-17. PMID: 27639938.
Chen, Y.*, Lin, L.*, Su, G., Han, M., Fan, X., Xun, P†, & Xu, G†. (2016). Effect of intermittent versus chronic calorie restriction on tumor incidence: a systematic review and meta-analysis of animal studies. Scientific Reports Sept. 22; 6:33739. PMID: 27653140.
Hunnicutt, J.*, He, K., & Xun, P†. (2014). Dietary iron intake and body iron stores are associated with risk of coronary heart disease in a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Journal of Nutrition 144(3):359-66. PMID: 24401818.
Xun, P.*, Liu, K., Morris, J., Daviglus, M., Stevens, J., Jacobs, D., & He, K†. (2010). Associations of toenail selenium levels with inflammatory biomarkers of fibrinogen, high-sensitivity C-reactive protein and interleukin-6: the CARDIA Trace Element Study. American Journal of Epidemiology 171(7): 793-800. PMID: 20219762
Yu, X.*, Xun, P., Hu, Z., Liu, P., Shen, H., & Chen, F.† (2009). Combining previously published studies with current data in Bayesian logistic regression model: an example for identifying susceptibility genes related to lung cancer in humans. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health Part A 72(11-12): 683-9. PMID: 19492229.
Xun, P.*, Chen, F.†, Dong, C., Qian, G., Lai, D., & Meng, J. (2007). A score method for comparison of partial genomic regions in their representatives of full-length genome of hepatitis E virus for genotyping. Intervirology 50(5): 328-35. PMID: 17687190.
Peer-reviewed Articles in Chinese (from n=52)
Xun, P.*, Qian, G.*, Zhao, Y., Yu, H., & Chen, F†. (2012). Two-stage combinational dimension reduction strategy for analyzing high-dimensional data in biology field. Chinese Journal of Health Statistics 29(5): 626-9.
Xun, P.*, Qian, G., Fu, C., Yu, H., & Chen, F†. (2009). Strategy of dimension reduction for microarray data driven by discriminate analysis. Chinese Journal of Health Statistics 2009; 26(2): 1-4.
Xun, P.*, Zhao, Y., Yi, H., Bai, J., Yu, H., & Chen, F†. (2006). The application of permutation test in the hypothesis testing. Application of Statistics and Management 25(5): 16-21.
Xun, P.*, Zhao, Y., Bai, J., Yi, H., Yu, H., & Chen, F†. (2006). Multiple comparison procedures for microarray data. Chinese Journal of Health Statistics 23(1):5-8.
Xun, P.*, Gu, H., & Chen, F.† (2005). The application of a chain binomial model in the analysis of infectious disease data. Chinese Journal of Health Statistics 22(1): 49-54.
Xun, P.*, Gu, J., Gu, H., & Chen, F†. (2004). The application of median-regressive and autoregressive models in predicting incidence of SARS. Chinese Journal of Health Statistics 21(4): 219-21.
Xun, P.*, & Cai, H†. (2004). The skill of using Reed—Merrell method to compile an abridged life table with SAS software. Practical Preventive Medicine 11(5): 1000-3.
Xun, P.*, & Cai, H†. (2003). Analysis on potential years of life lost for automobile drivers in Jiangsu from 1990 to 1999. Chinese Journal of Epidemiology 24(4): 284-7. PMID: 12820946.
Xun, P.*, Cai, H†., Ge, Z., & Lu, S. (2001). An abridged truncated life table for automobile drivers from five cites in Jiangsu province during 1990s. Chinese Journal of Health Statistics 18(6): 331-3.
Xun, P.*, & Cai, H†. (2001). The construction and review of current life tables. Modern Preventive Medicine 28(1): 358-61.
Xun, P.*,†, & He, Q. Chapter 4: Multivariate Analysis. In Fang J. Handbook on Medical Statistics. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing Co Pte Ltd., 2017 (Role: Chapter Writer.)
The chapter covers the following concepts/methods:
Multivariate descriptive statistics, Hoteling's T-squared test, MANOVA, Multivariate linear regression, Structural equation model, Logistic regression, Poisson regression, Negative binomial regression, Principal component analysis, Factor analysis, Canonical analysis, Corresponding analysis, Cluster analysis, Biclustering, Discriminant analysis, Multidimensional scaling, Generalized estimating equation, Multilevel model, High-dimensional data, and High-dimensional data visualization.
Lu, S., & Chen, F. "The 12th/11th five-year" National Programmed Textbook: Medical Statistics, 3rd/2nd edition, Beijing: China Statistics Press, 2016/2007 (Role: Editor).
Chen, F., & Yu, H. Statistical Interpretations of Some Selected Clinical Trial Cases, Beijing: The People's Health Publishing House, 2015. (Role: Editor).
Yu, H. The excellent textbook of Jiangsu higher education: Medical Statistics, 3rd/2nd/1st edition, Beijing: China Statistics Press, 2013/2005/2004 (Role: Editor).
Jin, P., & Chen, F. "The 11th five-year" National Programmed Textbook: Statistical Methods in Medical Area, 3rd edition, Shanghai: Fudan University Press, 2009 (Role: Associate Editor-in-chief).
Xun, P.*, Chen, F†. Chapter 7: Permutation Tests and Their Applications. In Rao K: Advances of Methods and Their Applications in Health Statistics (Volume 2). Beijing: People's Medical Publishing House, 2008 (Role: Chapter Writer).
Xun, P.*, Chen, F†. Chapter 21: Clustering. In Chen, F.: Modern Medical Statistical Methods and STATA Application, 2nd edition, Beijing: China Statistics Press, 2003 (Role: Chapter Writer).