Emeriti / Retired
University of Oregon, Ph.D., 1982
Eastern Washington University, M.S., 1977
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, B.Sc., 1972
- Director - Professional Development Program, Outward Bound
- Research Social Scientist, USDA Forest Service
- Past President - Academy of Leisure Scientists
- Branch Chief - Recreation, Wilderness, and Urban Forestry, USDA Forest Service
- Professor and Department Chair, Department of Resource Recreation and Tourism, University of Northern British Columbia, Prince George, BC, CANADA
- Editor, Journal of Experiential Education
- Professor, Indiana University
- Patricia and Joel Meier Endowed Chair in Outdoor Leadership, Indiana University
- Outstanding Faculty, Student Choice Award, Indiana University
- William Evans Fellowship (for excellence in teaching and research), University of Otago, New Zealand, September - October, 2008
Research Tracts include: (a) Developing resilience through the use of outdoor adventure activities, (b) investigating the effects of Outward Bound on Redeploying Military Veterans, (c) the effects of natural environments on human health, and (d) motivations for engaging in high risk outdoor recreational experiences.
Ewert, A., & Frankel, J. (2009). Linking goals with outcomes: Outward Bound, findings, and confounding variables. 2009 NRPA Leisure Research Symposium. Salt Lake City, UT, Oct. 13-16
Ewert, A., Overholt, J., Voight, A., & Wang, Chun Chieh. (2010). Understanding the transformative aspects of the wilderness and protected lands experience upon human health. Proceedings of the Ninth World Wilderness Congress Symposium, Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. (In Press)
Ewert, A., & Galloway, G. (2009). Socially desirable responding in an environmental context: Development of a domain specific scale. Environmental Education Research, 15(1), 55-70.
Ewert, A., Voight, A., Calvin, D. & Hayashi, A. (2008). Outdoor programs and environmental beliefs: Investigating the stability of outcomes and levels of salience. In: Watson, A, Sproull, J., & Dean, D. (comp.). 2007. Science and Stewardship to Protect and Sustain Wilderness Values: Eighth World Wilderness Congress Symposium. September 30-October 6, 2005. Anchorage, AK. Proceedings RMRS-P-49. Fort Collins, CO. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. (pp. 416-421).
Ewert, A., & Sibthorp, J. (2009). Creating outcomes through Experiential Education: The challenge of confounding variables. Journal of Experiential Education, 31(3), 376-389.
Ewert, A., & Yoshino, A. (in press). The influence of short-term adventure-based experiences on levels of resilience of university students. Journal of Adventure Education and Outdoor Learning.
Ewert, A., Baker, D., & Bissix, G. (2004). Integrated Resource Management: The Human Dimension. Cambridge, MA: CABI Publishers.
Gilbertson, K., Bates, T., Ewert, A., & McLaughlin, T. (2005). Methods and Strategies for Teaching Outdoors, Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
Ewert, A., & Wadzinski, L. (2010). Chapter 12: Physical Resources Management. In B. van der Smissen & M. Moiseichik (Eds.). Management of Park and Recreation Agencies (3nd ed.) Ashburn, VA: National Recreation and Park Association. In Press.
Ewert, A., & Garvey, D. (2007). Chapter Two: Philosophy and theory of Adventure Education. In: D.
Prouty, J. Panicucci, & R. Collinson (eds.). Adventure Based Programming and Education. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics. (Pp. 19-32).