Open Research and Contributor Identifier
University of Chicago, Post Doctoral Fellowship, 1988
Northwestern Univeristy, Ph.D., 1986
Northwestern University, M.S., 1985
University of Nevada Reno, B.A., 1982
- Fulbright Distinguished Chair, University of Newcastle, Australia, 2018-2019
- PI, Assessing Air Pollution Exposures among a Vulnerable Rural Disparities Population.â€ National Institute for Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health. R15ES026394-01A1; 2016-2018
- Professor and Chair, Department of Health Policy, Management, and Leadership, School of Public Health, West Virginia University, 2011-2013
- PI and Director, West Virgina Rural Health Research Center, West Virginia University, 2008-2013, Rural Health Research Grant Program Cooperative Agreement, HRSA, U1CRH10664-04-02
- Academic Partner, Environmental Protection Agency Toxics Release Inventory University Challenge, 2013-2014
- Associate Professor (2006-2012) Department of Health Policy, Management and Leadership, School of Public Health, West Virginia UniversityReseach Interests
My research interests focus on health disparities for disadvantaged populations. I am especially interested in the impacts of uneven environmental exposures faced by socioeconomically disadvantaged groups. I am also interested in studies of environmental policy.
Hendryx, M., Luo J. Increased cancer screening for low income adults under the Affordable Care Act Medicaid expansion. Medical Care, 2018, in press.
Hendryx, M., Luo J. Latent class analysis to model multiple chemical exposures among children. Environmental Research, 2018, 160, 115-120.
Soni A, Hendryx, M., Simon K. Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act and insurance coverage in rural and urban areas. Journal of Rural Health, 2017, 33, 217-226.
Luo J, Chelebowski R, Hendryx, M., Rohan T, Wactaaski-Wende J, Thomson CA, et al. Intentional weight loss and endometrial cancer risk. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2017, 35, 1189-1193.
Luo J, Hendryx, M., Nassir R, Cheng TD, Lane D, Margolis KL. Benign breast disease and risk of thyroid cancer. Cancer Causes & Control, 2017, in press.
Luo J, Chelebowski R, Hendryx, M., Rohan T, Wactaaski-Wende J, Thomson CA, Felix AS, Chen C, Barrington W, Coday M, Stefanick M, LeBlanc E, Margolis KL. Intentional weight loss and endometrial cancer risk. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2017, 35, 1189-1193
Luo, J., Hendryx, M., Entwhistle J, Kenny E, Illyn P. Health status among urban residents living in proximity to petroleum coke storage: a fir! st examination. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 2016, 26(5-6), 497-507.
Hendryx, M., Holland B. Unintended consequences of the Clean Air Act: mortality rates in Appalachian coal mining communities. Environmental Science and Policy, 2016, 63, 1-6.
Palmer MA, Bernhardt ES, Schlesinger WH, Eshleman KN, Foufoula-Georgiou E, Hendryx, M.S., et al. Mountaintop mining consequences. Science, 2010, 327(5962), 148-149.
Hendryx, M., Entwhistle J. Association between residence near surface coal mining and blood inflammation. The Extractive Industries and Society, 2015, 2, 246-251.
Hendryx, M., Luo J. An examination of the effects of mountaintop removal coal mining on respiratory symptoms and COPD using propensity scores. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 2015, 25(3), 265-276.
Luanpitpong S, Chen M, Knuckles T, Wen S, Luo J, Ellis E, Hendryx, M. , Rojanasakul Y. Appalachian mountaintop mining particulate ma! tter indu! ces neoplastic transformation of human bronchial epithelial cells and promotes tumor formation. Environmental Science and Technology, 2014, 48, 12912-12919.