Open Research and Contributor Identifier
Columbia University, New York, Dr.P.H., 2010
Griffith University, Queensland, Australia, MEM, 2000
University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, M.S., 1998
University of Dhaka, Bangladesh, B.S. (Hons), 1995
- Principal Investigator, COHSE-PPRT Program, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Project Title: Smartphone-based Hearing Conservation for Farm and Rural Youth. (2019-20)
- Principal Investigator, President's International Research Award (PIRA), Indiana University. Short Title: School-based intervention and microbiological risk characterization on safe water and personal hygiene. (2018-20)
- Principal Investigator, Global Gateway Seed Grants, OVPIA, DISP and SPH, IUB. Project Title: Public Health Workforce Development Online Short-Courses workshop at the IU India Gateway. (2018-19)
- Principal Investigator, SPH Faculty Research Grant Program (FRGP). Project Title: Assessment of serum thyroid hormones, neurodevelopmental outcomes and polymorphisms in thyroid function genes in arsenic-exposed adolescents. (2016-17)
- Principal Investigator, Collaborative Research and Creative Activity (CRCA). Project Title: The Interplay between Climate Change Adaptation, Agrochemical Exposure, Governance and Public Health in Bangladesh. (2015-16)
- Principal Investigator, Mellon Innovating International Research, Teaching, and Collaboration (MIIRT) Research Fellowship Funding. Short Title: Agrochemical Exposures and Associated Health Effects in Rural Bangladesh. (2014-15)
- Principal Investigator of CDC-NIOSH Great Plain Center for Agricultural Health Pilot Grant. Project Title: Evaluation of Technology-based Interventions to Increase the Use of Hearing Protection among Adolescent Farmworkers in Iowa. (2013-14)
Dr. Khan's research interests are centered on the broad area of environmental epidemiology with specific emphasis on vulnerable populations. His current research activities can be categorized into two major areas:
- Understanding the neurobehavioral (NB) health effects of environmental and occupational exposures with specific emphasis on the mechanism of action of neurotoxic contaminants and
- Evaluating the efficacy of community-based interventions for reducing the risks of environmental exposures and chronic health effects in the areas of water, hygiene and occupational noise exposure. He has investigated neurobehavioral and mental health effects of metals, air pollutants and pesticides in children and adolescents in the United States, Egypt, Ecuador and South Asian countries including India and Bangladesh. He is also examining early-life endocrine-disruption potential of environmental contaminants and concurrently exploring if such disruption has any adverse impact on brain development later in life. His current intervention research program in the U.S. and abroad is also tracing suitable low-cost educational intervention for children and adolescents for promoting handwashing, safe water and hearing protection behavior.
Khan KM, Karnati J*, Hamid I, Koceja D, Islam MZ, Khan AF. Residential proximity to agricultural fields and neurological and mental health outcomes in rural adults in Matlab, Bangladesh. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019 Sep 4;16(18), 3228.
Khan KM, Parvez F, Zoeller RT, Hocevar BA, Kamendulis LM, Rohlman D, Eunus M, Graziano J. Thyroid hormones and neurobehavioral functions among adolescents chronically exposed to groundwater with geogenic arsenic in Bangladesh. Sci Total Environ. 2019 Aug 15;678: 278-287.
Khan KM, Weigel M, Yonts S*, Rohlman DS, Armijos RX. Residential Exposure to Urban Traffic is Associated with the Poorer Neurobehavioral Health of Ecuadorian Schoolchildren. Neurotoxicology. 2019 Feb 28; 73: 31-39.
Khan KM, Bielko SL*, McCullagh MC. Efficacy of hearing conservation education programs for youth and young adults: a systematic review. BMC Public Health. 2018 Nov 22;18(1):1286
Khan KM, Evans SS*, Bielko SL*, Rohlman DS. Efficacy of technology-based interventions to increase the use of hearing protections among adolescent farmworkers. Int J Audiol. 2017 Sep 18:1-11.
Khan K, Ahmed E, Factor-Litvak P, Liu X, Siddique AB, Wasserman GA, Slavkovich V, Levy D, Mey JL, van Geen A, Graziano JH. Evaluation of an Elementary School-based Educational Intervention for Reducing Arsenic Exposure in Bangladesh. Environ Health Perspect. 2015 Dec;123 (12):1331-6
Khan K, Factor-Litvak P, Wasserman GA, Liu X, Ahmed E, Parvez F, Slavkovich V, Levy D, Mey J, van Geen A, Graziano JH. Manganese exposure from drinking water and children's classroom behavior in Bangladesh.Environ Health Perspect. 2011 Oct; 119 (10):1501-6.