Western Michigan University, Ph.D., 2010
Indiana University, M.P.H., 1998
Indiana University, B.S., 1997
- Brian Douglas Hiltunen Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Scholarship of Engagement, Indiana Campus Compact, 2017
- 10 Under 40 Awards, Bloomington Chamber of Commerce, 2013
- Research Scientist, Diabetes Translational Research Center, IU School of Medicine
- Affliated Faculty Member, Network Science Institute, Indiana University Bloomington
- University of Kentucky Dissertation Grant. Project Title: Local Public Health System Partnerships. $10,000 (2008)
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation New Connections Senior Consultant Grant Award. Project Title: Examination of local health department partnerships with nongovernmental agencies in improving public health outcomes. $42,551 (2007-2008)
- Military Health System Conference Healthcare Innovation Award Recipient, Healthy Lifestyle Category (2008)
- Health Education Program Manager, Health and Wellness, U.S. Air Force
- Program Manager, Exploring Accreditation, National Association of County and City Health Officials
- Program Manager, Minority Health Partnership, Calhoun County Health Department
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Public Health Prevention Specialist
Dr. Barnes' research focuses on how partnership-related factors influence strategic health goals/priorities of governmental public health and community-based organizations. She applies the concepts of network science and community/group models of health behavior change in studying inter-organizational partnerships. She is particularly interested in examining the factors leading to the creation and functioning of community health partnerships and their impact on health outcomes of participants in these networks.
Barnes P., Weiss Kennedy C., Schaefer S., Fogarty E., Lohrmann D., Thiagarajah K. (2017). Perceived factors influencing hospital-based primary care clinic referrals to community health medical nutrition therapy: An exploratory study. Journal of Interprofessional Care. 32(2): 224-227.
Mayo T., Barnes P., Reece M., Sherwood Laughlin C., Deweese S., Valenta M.A., Weiss Kennedy C. (2017). Exploring proxy measures of mutuality for strategic partnership development: A case study. Health Promotion Practice. 18(4): 598-606. DOI: 10.1177/152483991770421.
Barnes P., Erwin P., Moonesignhe R. (2017). Functional characteristics of health coalitions in local public health systems: Exploring the function of county health councils in Tennessee. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. doi: 10.1097/PHH.0000000000000477.
Barnes P., Haderxhanaj L., Shah G. (2016). A state-level analysis of maternal and child health partnerships among Indiana local health departments. Frontiers in Public Health Services and Systems Research. 5(1):13–20. DOI: 10.13023/FPHSSR.0501.03.
Barnes P., Schaefer S., Middlestadt S., Knoblock H. (2015). Who’s who in the crew? Exploring membership capacity in the Active Living Coalition. Evaluation and Program Planning. 50: 88-95.
Barnes P., Erwin P., Moonesinghe R. (2014) Measures of highly functioning health coalitions: Corollaries for an effective public health system. Frontiers in Public Health Services and Systems Research. Vol. 3: No. 3, Article 1. Available at: http://uknowledge.uky.edu/frontiersinphssr/vol3/iss3/1
Barnes P., Lohrmann D., Day K., Shipley M., O’Neill J. (2014). Indicators of partnership success among MICHIANA coordinated school health teams. The Health Educator. 45(2): 20-30.
Shipley M, Lohrmann D, Barnes P, O'Neill J. (2012). Success stories: Communicating the school health message. Accepted for publication in The Health Educator.
Barnes P, Lohrmann D, Day K, Shipley M, O'Neill J. (2012). Indicators of partnership success among MICHIANA coordinated school health teams. Submitted to the Journal of School Health for review.
Mathis A, Barnes P, Mamou F. Shah G. (2012). Integration of community health centers and local health departments in the Great Lakes Region. Accepted for pubilcation in Population Health Management.
Stafford J, Barnes P, Goodman M. (2011). Developing an infrastructure for community based participatory research in Long Island, New York. Submitted to Journal of Community Practice for review.
Shipley M, Lohrmann D, Barnes P, O'Neill J. (2011). "Telling their Story:" Balancing leadership responsibilities and local school health priorities. Accepted for publication in the Journal of School Health.
Mathis A, Barnes P, Moonesighe R. (2012). Reversing racial and ethnic disparities in postneonatal mortality across Florida: The role of local health departments versus private providers. Florida Public Health Review. 9, 9-17.
Barnes P, Curtic A, Downey L, Moonesignhe R. (2012). A multi-state examination of partnership activities among local public health systems. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. 18(5): E14-23.
Beatty K, Harris J, Barnes P. (2010, June) The role of inter-organizational partnerships in health services provision among rural, suburban, and urban local health departments. Journal of Rural Health, 26(3): 248-258.
Barnes P, Curtis A. (2009, May/Jun) A national examination of local health department (LHD) partnerships with faith communities in the U.S. Journal of Public Health Managment and Practice, 15(3): 253-263.
Turnock B, Barnes P. (2007 Jul/Aug) History will be so kind. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice. 13(4): 337-341.