Open Research and Contributor Identifier
The University of Texas at Austin, Ph.D. (Clinical Psychology), 2014
The University of Texas at Austin, M.A., 2011
Swarthmore College, B.A., 2005
- 2019-2022: Co-Investigator, Maternal use of prescribed opioid analgesics and risk of adverse offspring outcomes (NIH/NIDA Grant #R01DA048042)
- 2016-2021: Principal Investigator, Pharmacoepidemiologic studies of prescription opioid analgesic risks (NIH/NIDA Grant #K99/R00DA040727)
- 2014-2018: Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences, Indiana University Bloomington
- 2013-2014: APA-Accredited Pre-Doctoral Clinical Psychology Internship, Indiana University School of Medicine
- 2012-2013: Principal Investigator, Alcohol response, cognitive impairment, and alcohol-related negative consequences (NIH/NIAAA Grant #F31AA020725)
Dr. Quinn studies the causes and consequences of substance use. His interests range across substances (e.g., from cigarette smoking to opioids) and across the lifespan (e.g., from prenatal drug exposure to medication treatment for ADHD in adults). Much of his current research examines pain and its treatment with opioid medications, using longitudinal health data on individuals and families and methods from epidemiology and behavioral genetics. As a licensed psychologist, Dr. Quinn is also broadly interested in other topics in mental health.
Quinn, P. D., Rickert, M. E., Franck, J., Sariaslan, A., Boersma, K., Lichtenstein, P., … D’Onofrio, B. M. (2019). Associations of mental health and family background with opioid analgesic therapy: A nationwide Swedish register-based study. Pain, 160, 2464-2472.
Sujan, A. C., Quinn, P. D., Rickert, M. E., Wiggs, K. K., Lichtenstein, P., Larsson, H., … D’Onofrio, B. M. (2019). Maternal prescribed opioid analgesic use during pregnancy and risk for adverse birth outcomes: A population-based study. PLOS Medicine, 16, e1002980.
Quinn, P. D., Hur, K., Chang, Z., Scott, E. L., Krebs, E. E., Bair, M. J., … D’Onofrio, B. M. (2018). Association of mental health conditions and treatments with long-term opioid analgesic receipt among adolescents. JAMA Pediatrics, 172, 423-430.
Quinn, P. D., Chang, Z., Hur, K., Gibbons, R. D., Lahey, B. B., Rickert, M. E., … D’Onofrio, B. M. (2017). ADHD medication and substance-related problems. American Journal of Psychiatry, 174, 877-885.
Quinn, P. D., Rickert, M. E., Weibull, C. E., Johansson, A. L. V., Lichtenstein, P., Almqvist, C., … D’Onofrio, B. M. (2017). Association between maternal smoking during pregnancy and severe mental illness in offspring. JAMA Psychiatry, 74, 589-596.