Purdue University, Ph.D., 1982
Indiana University, M.P.H., 1984
Tehran University, M.S.P.H, 1978
Tehran University, B.S., 1975
- Founding Dean, Indiana University School of Public Health-Bloomington
- Member of Editorial Board, Journal of School Health, 2014 -
- Editor, Eta Sigma Gamma Health Education Monograph Series, Publication of National Health Education Honorary
- Past President, American Academy of Health Behavior
- Past Board Member, American Association for Health Education and American School Health Association
Dr. Torabi's research focus is in the area of measurement and evaluation of school and public health education programs and factors associated with health behavior. His research extends into health promotion and key factors related to individual's decisions in the prevention of drug abuse, cancer, and HIV/AIDS infection. His research is published extensively in a variety of major journals in the field. Professor Torabi has served as a research consultant for various state and national organizations including governmental and nongovernmental agencies, and he has presented his research at major national and international conferences.
- Grant: Co-Investigator with D. Lohrmann, "AmeriCorps Improving Health Throughout Indiana," September 1, 2013 - August 31, 2014, $142,055
- Grant: Co-Investigator with D. Lohrmann, "AmeriCorps Improving Health Throughout Indiana," September 1, 2012 - August 31, 2013, $144,363
- Grant: Co-Investigator with D. Lohrmann, "AmeriCorps Improving Health Throughout Indiana," September 1, 2011 - August 31, 2012, $144,253
- Grant: Co-Investigator with L. Kolbe, "The Community Health Educator/Community Health Lay Worker Program," Office of Faith Based and Community Initiatives, September 1, 2010 - August 31, 2011, $142,861
- Grant: Co-Investigator with L.Kolbe, "The Community Health Educator/Community Health Lay Worker Program," Indiana State Department of Health, September 1, 2009 - August 31, 2010, $214,482
Awards & Honors
- Achievement Awards: W.E. Schaller Presidential Citation, Eta Sigma Gamma National Health Honorary, 2014; Presidential Citation, American School Health Association, 2007
- Research Awards: Alliance Scholar Award, American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation, 2008/2009; Distinguished Scholar Award, International Council for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, Sport, and Dance (ICHPER-SD), 2008
- Service Awards: Distinguished Service Award, Eta Sigma Gamma National Health Honorary, 2009; Professional Service to Health Education Award, American Association for Health, Education, 2003; Outstanding Service Award, American Academy of Health Behavior, 2003
- Chancellor's Professorship Award, Indiana University, 1997
Li, K., Seo, D.-C., & Torabi, M.R. (2014). "Measuring outcome expectancy-value of leisure-time physical activity for African-Americans, Behavior Medicine. Manuscript # 40-13-032-AR.RI. Accepted author version posted online: 17 Jan 2014. DOI: 10.1080/08964289.2014.881775
Seo, D.-C., Torabi, M.R., Chin, M.K., Lee, C.G., Kim, N., Huang, S.-F., Chen, C.K., Mok, M.M.C., Wong, P., Chia, M., & Park, B.-H. (2014). Physical activity with body mass index, alcohol consumption, and cigarette smoking among East Asian college students. Health Education Journal, 73(4): 453-465.
Seo, D.-C., Torabi, M.R., Kim, N., Lee, C.G., & Choe, S. (2013). Smoking among East Asian college students: Prevalence and Correlates. American Journal of Health Behavior, 37(2):199-207. doi: 10.5993/AJHB.37.2.7.
Jayawardene, W., Youssefagha, A., LaJoie, S., & Toriba, M.R. (2013). Psychological Distress Among Nurses Caring for Victims of War in Sri Lanka. Journal of Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, 7(3):278-286.
Torabi, M.R., Finley, K., & Olcott, C. (2012). Healthy Lifestyle: Top Ten Preventable Causes of Premature Dealth with Real Stories of Change. Bloomington, IN: Authorhouse, 281pp.
Li, K.-G., Seo, D.-C., Torabi, M.R., Peng, C.-Y., Kay, N.S., & Kolbe, L.J. (2012). Social-Ecological Factors of Leisure-Time Physical Activity in Black Adults. Amercian Journal of Health Behavior, 36(6):797-810.
Petera, B. & Torabi, M.R. (2012). Alcohol Use Behavior among Undergraduates: A Cross-Cultural Comparison Between the US and Sri Lanka. Southeast Asian Journal of Tropical Medicine and Public Health, 43(4):1025-1034
Agley, J., Gassman, R., Kolbe, L., Seo, D-C., & Torabi, M.R. (2012). Do sociodemographic factors and beliefs about the health of others predict attitudes about smoke-free air policies in various settings? Korean Journal of Health Education and Promotion, 29(3):91-101.
Githiri, V., Torabi, M.R., & Seo, D-C. (2012) Barriers to physical activity and weight-loss maintenance for African American women. Eta Sigma Gamma Health Education Monograph Series, 29(1): 64-77.
Jay, S., Torabi, M., & Spitznagle, M. (2012). A Decade of Sustaining Best Practices for Tobacco Control: Indiana's Story. Preventing Chronic Disease, 9110144;http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2012/110144.htm
Jayawardene, W., YoussefAgha, A., Mattar, S.G., Labib, N.A. & Torabi, M. (2012). Differential Characteristics of the Diabetes Epidemic across Global Regions. International Journal of Health, Wellness, and Society, 1(4): 61-78.
YoussefAgha, A., Maffini, C., Jayawardene, W., Perez-Medina, E., & Torabi, M. (2012). Barriers Contributing to Health Disparities Among Latinos in the United States. The International Journal of Health, Wellness and Society, 1(4): 163-170.
Perera, B., Torabi, M., & Kay, N.S. (2011). Alcohol use related problems and psychological health in college students. International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health, 23(1).
Seo, D.C., Torabi, M.R., Chin, M-K, Huang, H.S., Chen, C.K., Mok, M.M., Wong, P., Chia, M., & Wang, C. (2011). A Comparison of Factors Associated with Physical Inactivity Among East Asian College Students. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, DOI 10, 1007/S12529-011-9167-4, 2011
Seo, D.-C., Torabi, M.R., Sa, J., & Blair, E.H. (2011). Emergency preparedness of U.S. college campuses. Security Journal (Security Journal advance online publication, 18 July 2011: doi:10.1057/sj.2011.18)
Torabi, M.R., Tao, R., Jay, Stephen J., & Olcott, C. (2011). A cross sectional survey on the inclusion of tobacco prevention/cessation, nutrition/diet, and exercise physiology/fitness education in medical school curricula in the United States. Journal of the National Medical Association, 103(5), 400-406.
Perera, B., Torabi, M., Jayawardana, C., & Perera, R. (2010). Knowledge of and attitudes toward smoking, smoking patterns and perceived stress in Sri Lankan undergraduates. International Journal of Child Health and Human Development, 3(1), 49-56.
Li, K.-G., Seo, D.-C., Torabi, M.R., Peng, C.-Y., Kay, N.S., & Kolbe, L.J. (2010). Leisure-time physical activity and obesity in Black adults in Indianapolis. American Journal of Health Behavior, 34(4), 442-452.
Torabi, M.R., Jun, M.K., Nowicke, C., Seitz, B., & Gassman, R. (2010). Tobacco, the Common Enemy and A Gateway Drug: Policy Implications. American Journal of Health Education, 41(1), 4-13 (Invited).
Seo, D.-C., Torabi, M.R., Jiang, N., Fernandez-Rojas, X., & Park, B.-H. (2009). Cross-cultural comparison of lack of regular physical activity among college students: universal versus transversal. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 16(4), 355-359.
Thiagarajah, K., & Torabi, M.R. (2009). Irregular breakfast eating and associated health behaviors: A pilot study among college students. The Health Educator, 41(1), 1-7.
Torabi, M.R., Perera, P.B., & Seo, D.C. (2008). Attitudes as an important predisposition to health behavior. In R.W. Pierce & R.I. Schwartz (Eds.), New Perpectives on Health Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices in Health (pp. 217-229).
Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers. Seo, D.-C., Torabi, M.R., Li, K., John, P.M., Woodcox, S.G., & Perera, B. (2008). Perceived susceptibility to diabetes and attitudes towards preventing diabetes among college students at a large Midwestern university. American Journal of Health Studies, 23(3), 143-150.
Seo, D.-C., Torabi, M.R., & Weaver, A.E. (2008). Factors influencing openness to future smoking among nonsmoking adolescents. Journal of School Health, 78(6), 328-336.