Open Research and Contributor Identifier
Oregon Health & Science University, NHLBI Postdoctoral Fellowship
University of California at Los Angeles, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University at Boca Raton, MA
Florida Atlantic University, BA
- Professor of Environmental and Occupational Health (tenured), School of Public Health, Indiana University-Bloomington, 8/2015-present.
- Co-Director, Global Environmental Health Research Laboratory
- Faculty Affiliate, Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies
- Senior Fellow, Prometeo Program, Ecuadorian National Secretary of Higher Education, Science, Technology, and Innovation, 5/2014-7/2016.
- Professor of Public Health Sciences (tenured), Department of Public Health Sciences, College of Health Sciences, University of Texas at El Paso, 2004-2015.
- Founding Director, CEPH-accredited Master of Public Health Program, Department of Public Health Sciences, College of Health Sciences, University of Texas at El Paso, 2007-2015.
- Associate Dean, College of Health Sciences, University of Texas at El Paso, 2009-2012.
- Co-Director, U.S.-Mexico Partnership for the Prevention, Diagnosis, & Control of TB & Related Infectious Diseases: Student Training, Research and Community Outreach Program. 2005-2008
- Fulbright Visiting Professor, Department of Public Health, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Universidad Autonoma de Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, 2004-2005.
- Assistant Professor of Community and International Nutrition, Department of Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, 1999-2002.
- Professor & Program Director, Graduate and Undergraduate Human Nutrition Programs, College of Medicine, Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador, 1997-1999.
- Environmental and occupational epidemiology
- Global environmental health
- Household food insecurity: impact on diet, nutrition, health, and development
- Air pollution and cardiorespiratory health of women and children
- Infectious disease epidemiology, prevention, and control especially TB, leishmaniasis and intestinal infections
Wang Y, Armijos RX, Xun P, Weigel MM. Dietary inflammatory index and cardiometabolic risk in Ecuadorian women. Nutrients 2021, 13(8), 2640; https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13082640
Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Obeng-Gyasi E, Racines-Orbe M. Elevated blood lead and metal/metalloid levels and environmental exposure sources in urban Ecuadorian school-age children and mothers. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health 2021; 235:113770. doi: 10.1016/j.ijheh.2021.113770
Richards M, Weigel MM, Li M, Rosenberg M, Ludema C. Household food insecurity and antepartum depression in the National Children's Study. Annuals of Epidemiol 2020; 44:38-44.e1.
Richards M, Weigel MM, Li M, Rosenberg M, Ludema C. Food insecurity, gestational weight gain and gestational diabetes in the National Children's Study, 2009-2014. J Public Health (Oxford). 2020; fdaa093.
Bielko S, Khan KM, Weigel MM. Perceptions, beliefs, and attitudes towards various hearing conservation approaches reported by Indiana college agriculture students. (JASH-14090-2020) Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health 2020; 26(4): 109-122.
Khan KM, Weigel MM, Yonts S, Rohlman D, Armijos RX. Residential exposure to urban traffic is associated with the poorer neurobehavioral health of Ecuadorian schoolchildren. Neurotoxicology. 2019; 73:31-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuro.2019.02.018.
Weigel MM, Armijos RX. Food Insecurity, Cardiometabolic Health, and Health Care in U.S.-Mexico Border Immigrant Adults: An Exploratory Study. J Immigrant Minority Health (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-018-0817-3.
Weigel MM, Armijos RX. Household food insecurity and psychosocial dysfunction in Ecuadorian elementary schoolchildren. Int J Pediatrics 2018; volume 2018:1-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/6067283.
Olvera H, Meyers O, Weigel MM, Armijos RX. The value of using seasonality and meterological variables to model intra-urban PM2.5 variation. Atmospheric Environment 2018; 182:1-8.
Obeng-Gyasi E, Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Filippeli G, Sayegh A. Cardiovascular-Related Outcomes in U.S. Adults Exposed to Lead. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2018, 15(4), 759 doi: 10.3390/ijerph1504075
Obeng-Gyasi E, Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Filippeli G, Sayegh A. Hepatobiliary-related outcomes in U.S. adults exposed to lead. Environments 2018, 5(4); 46 doi:10.3390/environments504004.
Raysoni AU, Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Echanique P, Racines M, Pingitore NE, Li WW. Evaluation of sources and patterns of elemental composition of PM2.5 at three low-income neighborhood schools and residences in Quito, Ecuador. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2017; 14(7). pii: E674. doi: 10.3390/ijerph14070674
Weigel MM, Armijos RX, Racines M, Cevallos W, Castro NP. Association of household food insecurity with the mental and physical health of low-income urban Ecuadorian women with children. Journal of Environmental Public Health Volume 2016, Article ID 5256084; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/5256084.
Weigel MM, Armijos RX, Racines M, Cevallos W. Food insecurity is associated with undernutrition but not overnutrition in Ecuadorian women from low-income urban neighborhoods. Journal of Environmental Public Health Volume 2016, Article ID 8149459; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/8149459.
Raysoni AU, Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Montoya T, Eschanique P, Racines M, Li W-W. Assessment of indoor and outdoor PM species at schools and residences in a high-altitude Ecuadorian urban center. Environmental Pollution 214: 668-679, 2016.
Kipp E, Mariscal J, Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Waldrup K. Genetic evidence of enzootic leishmaniasis in a stray canine and Texas mouse from sites in west and central Texas. Memorias do Instituto de Oswaldo Cruz, 111(10):652-654, 2016. doi: 10.1590/0074-0260160225.
Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Myers OB, Li WW, Racines M, Berwick M. Residential exposure to urban traffic is associated with increased carotid intima-media thickness in children. Journal of Environmental Public Health Volume 2015 (2015), Article ID 713540; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/713540
Weigel MM, Armijos MM. Food insufficiency in the households of reproductive-age Ecuadorian women: association with food and nutrition indicators. Ecology of Food and Nutrition. 54(1):20-42, 2015
Weigel MM, Armijos RX, Beltran O. Musculoskeletal injury, functional disability, and health-related quality of life in aging Mexican immigrant farmworkers. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 16(5):904-13, 2014.
Weigel MM, Caiza ME. Ethnic/racial disparities in the fetal growth outcomes of Ecuadorian newborns. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 15(1):198-206, 2013.
Weigel MM, Armijos RX. Exploratory study of the occupational health and health-seeking of migrant and seasonal farmworkers on the U.S.-Mexico border. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 2012; 14(4):648-56.
Weigel MM, Coe K, Castro NP, Caiza ME, Tello N, Reyes M. Food aversions and cravings during early pregnancy: association with nausea and vomiting. Ecology of Food and Nutrition, 50(3):197-214, 2011.