M. Margaret Weigel
Open Research and Contributor Identifier
Environmental and Occupational Health
Oregon Health & Science University, NHLBI Postdoctoral Fellowship
University of California at Los Angeles, Ph.D.
Florida Atlantic University at Boca Raton, MA
Florida Atlantic University, BA
- Professor of Environmental and Occupational Health (tenured), School of Public Health, Indiana University-Bloomington, 8/2015-present.
- Co-Director, Global Environmental Health Research Laboratory
- Faculty Affiliate, Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies
- Senior Fellow, Prometeo Program, Ecuadorian National Secretary of Higher Education, Science, Technology, and Innovation, 5/2014-7/2016.
- Professor of Public Health Sciences (tenured), Department of Public Health Sciences, College of Health Sciences, University of Texas at El Paso, 2004-2015.
- Founding Director, CEPH-accredited Master of Public Health Program, Department of Public Health Sciences, College of Health Sciences, University of Texas at El Paso, 2007-2015.
- Associate Dean, College of Health Sciences, University of Texas at El Paso, 2009-2012.
- Co-Director, U.S.-Mexico Partnership for the Prevention, Diagnosis, & Control of TB & Related Infectious Diseases: Student Training, Research and Community Outreach Program. 2005-2008
- Fulbright Visiting Professor, Department of Public Health, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Universidad Autonoma de Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, 2004-2005.
- Assistant Professor of Community and International Nutrition, Department of Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, 1999-2002.
- Professor & Program Director, Graduate and Undergraduate Human Nutrition Programs, College of Medicine, Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador, 1997-1999.
- Environmental and occupational epidemiology
- Global environmental health
- Household food insecurity: impact on diet, nutrition, health, and development
- Air pollution and cardiorespiratory health of women and children
- Infectious disease epidemiology, prevention, and control especially TB, leishmaniasis and intestinal infections
- Balogun AO, Weigel MM, Estévez E, Armijos RX. Chronic occupational exposure to traffic pollution Is associated with increased carotid intima-media thickness in healthy urban traffic control police. Int J Env Res & Public Health. 2023; 20(17):6701. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph20176701
- Weigel MM, Armijos RX. Association of household food insecurity with developmental delay in preschool children: 2018 Ecuadorian Nutrition and Health National Survey. Journal of Nutritional Science 2023, vol. 12, e89, doi:10.1017/jns.2023.70.
- Weigel MM, Armijos RX. Food insecurity is associated with poorer self-reported oral health in school-age Ecuadorian children and is partially mediated by plain water and other dietary factors. Public Health Nutrition 2022; 29:1-27. doi: 10.1017/S1368980022002166.
- Wang Y, Armijos RX, Weigel MM. Dietary inflammatory index and cardiometabolic risk in Ecuadorian school-age children. Journal of American Nutrition Association 2022; 18:1-10. doi: 10.1080/27697061.2022.2113177.
- Weigel MM, Armijos RX. Ecuadorian school food environment: association with healthy and unhealthy food and beverage consumption and BMI. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2022; 21:3795721221116447. doi: 10.1177/03795721221116447. PMID: 35993259.
- Weigel MM, Armijos RX. Maternal Care and Pregnancy Outcomes of Venezuelan and Colombian Refugees. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 2022 Jun 6:1—10. doi: 10.1007/s10903-022-01370-4. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35666372; PMCID: PMC9169017
- Chakraboty R*, Weigel MM, Khan K. Food insecurity is associated with diarrhea, respiratory illness, and stunting but not underweight or obesity in low-resource New Delhi households. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition, 2021; DOI: 10.1080/19320248.2021.2008574
- Wang Y, Armijos RX, Xun P, Weigel MM>. Dietary inflammatory index and cardiometabolic risk in Ecuadorian women. Nutrients 2021, 13(8), 2640; https://doi.org/10.3390/nu13082640
- Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Obeng-Gyasi E, Racines-Orbe M. Elevated blood lead and metal/metalloid levels and environmental exposure sources in urban Ecuadorian school-age children and mothers. International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health 2021; 235:113770. doi: 10.1016/j.ijheh.2021.113770
- Richards M, Weigel MM, Li M, Rosenberg M, Ludema C. Household food insecurity and antepartum depression in the National Children's Study. Annuals of Epidemiol 2020; 44:38-44.e1.
- Richards M, Weigel MM, Li M, Rosenberg M, Ludema C. Food insecurity, gestational weight gain and gestational diabetes in the National Children's Study, 2009-2014. J Public Health (Oxford). 2020; fdaa093.
- Bielko S, Khan KM, Weigel MM. Perceptions, beliefs, and attitudes towards various hearing conservation approaches reported by Indiana college agriculture students. (JASH-14090-2020) Journal of Agricultural Safety and Health 2020; 26(4): 109-122.
- Khan KM, Weigel MM, Yonts S, Rohlman D, Armijos RX. Residential exposure to urban traffic is associated with the poorer neurobehavioral health of Ecuadorian schoolchildren. Neurotoxicology. 2019; 73:31-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuro.2019.02.018.
- Weigel MM, Armijos RX. Food Insecurity, Cardiometabolic Health, and Health Care in U.S.-Mexico Border Immigrant Adults: An Exploratory Study. J Immigrant Minority Health (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10903-018-0817-3.
- Weigel MM, Armijos RX. Household food insecurity and psychosocial dysfunction in Ecuadorian elementary schoolchildren. Int J Pediatrics 2018; volume 2018:1-7. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/6067283.
- Olvera H, Meyers O, Weigel MM, Armijos RX. The value of using seasonality and meterological variables to model intra-urban PM2.5 variation. Atmospheric Environment 2018; 182:1-8.
- Obeng-Gyasi E, Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Filippeli G, Sayegh A. Cardiovascular-Related Outcomes in U.S. Adults Exposed to Lead. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2018, 15(4), 759 doi: 10.3390/ijerph1504075
- Obeng-Gyasi E, Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Filippeli G, Sayegh A. Hepatobiliary-related outcomes in U.S. adults exposed to lead. Environments 2018, 5(4); 46 doi:10.3390/environments504004.
- Raysoni AU, Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Echanique P, Racines M, Pingitore NE, Li WW. Evaluation of sources and patterns of elemental composition of PM2.5 at three low-income neighborhood schools and residences in Quito, Ecuador. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2017; 14(7). pii: E674. doi: 10.3390/ijerph14070
- Weigel MM, Armijos RX, Racines M, Cevallos W, Castro NP. Association of household food insecurity with the mental and physical health of low-income urban Ecuadorian women with children. Journal of Environmental Public Health Volume 2016, Article ID 5256084; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/5256084.
- Weigel MM, Armijos RX, Racines M, Cevallos W. Food insecurity is associated with undernutrition but not overnutrition in Ecuadorian women from low-income urban neighborhoods. Journal of Environmental Public Health Volume 2016, Article ID 8149459; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/8149459.
- Raysoni AU, Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Montoya T, Eschanique P, Racines M, Li W-W. Assessment of indoor and outdoor PM species at schools and residences in a high-altitude Ecuadorian urban center. Environmental Pollution 214: 668-679, 2016.
- Kipp E, Mariscal J, Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Waldrup K. Genetic evidence of enzootic leishmaniasis in a stray canine and Texas mouse from sites in west and central Texas. Memorias do Instituto de Oswaldo Cruz, 111(10):652-654, 2016. doi: 10.1590/0074-0260160225.
- Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Myers OB, Li WW, Racines M, Berwick M. Residential exposure to urban traffic is associated with increased carotid intima-media thickness in children. Journal of Environmental Public Health Volume 2015 (2015), Article ID 713540; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/713540
- Weigel MM, Armijos MM. Food insufficiency in the households of reproductive-age Ecuadorian women: association with food and nutrition indicators. Ecology of Food and Nutrition. 54(1):20-42, 2015
- Weigel MM, Armijos RX, Beltran O. Musculoskeletal injury, functional disability, and health-related quality of life in aging Mexican immigrant farmworkers. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 16(5):904-13, 2014.
- Weigel MM, Caiza ME. Ethnic/racial disparities in the fetal growth outcomes of Ecuadorian newborns. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 15(1):198-206, 2013.
- Weigel MM, Armijos RX. Exploratory study of the occupational health and health-seeking of migrant and seasonal farmworkers on the U.S.-Mexico border. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 2012; 14(4):648-56.
- Weigel MM, Coe K, Castro NP, Caiza ME, Tello N, Reyes M. Food aversions and cravings during early pregnancy: association with nausea and vomiting. Ecology of Food and Nutrition, 50(3):197-214, 2011.