Teaching Professor Emeritus
Indiana University, Ph.D. in Human Performance, 2012
Colorado State University, M.S. in Exercise and Sport Science, 1989
University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana, B.S. in Leisure Studies Program Specialist option, 1980
- ACSM Board of Trustees; 2021 - 2022
- Associate Editor, ACSM Translational Journal; 2017 - present
- Fellow American College of Sports Medicine; 2015 - present
- National Wellness Council Advisory Board; 2018 - 2021
- Certified Functional Movement Screening (FMS); since 2011
- Editorial Board, Health and Fitness Journal, American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM); 2004 - present
- Certified Exercise Physiologist (American College of Sports Medicine); since 1990
- Wellness Council of Indiana Advisory Board; 2009 - 2019
- Exercise is Medicine Advisory Board; 2015 - 2018
- IU SPH Trustees Teaching Excellence Award; 2004, 2009, & 2013
- American Council on Exercise National Advisory Board member; 2007 - 2010
- Certification and Education Committee for the Health/Fitness Track, American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM); 1998 - 2003
- Program Director, Fitness/Wellness, Indiana University Recreational Sports; 1994 - 2003
- Program Director, SportWell Program, Student Health Center, University of Illinois; 1989 - 1994
I enjoy the combination of teaching, community engagement and translational research. My doctoral work focused on translational research in a military setting for active duty personnel over 40 years old. I have an interest in functional movement, worksite wellness outcomes, safe and effective movement instruction and evaluating behavioral outcomes related to physical activity. My passion is promoting, teaching and evaluating safe, effective, evidence-based physical activity/movement program delivery methods in order to encourage healthy lifestyles and focus on improved quality of life and prevention of illness.
- Kennedy-Armbruster, C., Middlestadt, S., Hollingsworth, P., Hadfield, J. Impact of a Group Movement PA Community Engagement Program on university employees and students within a workplace wellness initiative. Community-based research Partnerships in IN. 11-15-16 ($5,000).
- Kennedy-Armbruster, C., Zinkan, M., Petscher, L. Kiessling, P. & Kennedy, J. Movement in the classroom: Impact of Teacher Movement and Classroom Movement Initiatives at Fairview Elementary School within Monroe County Community School Corporation (MCCSC). SPH Community-Based Research Partnerships in Indiana 11-15-2015 ($4,000).
- Kennedy-Armbruster, C., Kiessling, P., Stegemann, J. Impact of Movement initiatives at work/school on MSD Wayne township School administrators, teachers, and students. SPH Community-Based Reseach Partnerhips in Indiana/MSD Wayne Township School District, Jan. 2015 ($10,000).
- 2012 - Present - Healthy IU service contract to assist with IU faculty/staff healthy change program evaluation and delivery.
- 2008 - 2013 - Senior Health Assessment Program with the United States Navy. Service contract provides six Fitness Specialists to three Navy bases (Norfolk, VA, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and San Diego, CA) to deliver the SHAPE program to Navy active duty personnel 40 years and up and evaluate a waterfront research project in San Diego, CA. Total $2.3 million over 5 years.
- Get Up! Get Going! Functional Movement in Your Day - TEDxYouth@Indianapolis presentation -YouTube Video of Presentation
Kennedy-Armbruster, CA, Burton, L., Kercher, V., & Doyle, D. (2021). Adapting Fitness and Neuromotor Tracking Over the Life Span. ACSM Health and Fitness Journal, May/June, 28-34.
Deinhart, M & Kennedy-Armbruster, C. (2019). Ready to Move: A Unique University Worksite Wellness Initiative. Building Healthy Academic Communities Journal, 3:1, 7-16.
Kennedy-Armbruster, CA (2017). Activity Trackers: What's all the fuss about these small yet significant devices? Journal of Active Aging; 16:4, 66-71.
Kiessling, B. & Kennedy-Armbruster. (2016). Move more, Sit less, Be well. Behavioral Aspect of Activity Trackers. ACSM Health and Fitness Journal, Nov/Dec 20-16, 26-31.
Hoffman, L. and Kennedy-Armbruster (2015). Case Study Using Worksite Wellness Program, ACSM Health and Fitness Journal, April/May 30-35.
Kennedy-Armbruster, C., Evans, E., Sexauer, L., Peterson, J., Wyatt, W. (2013). Association among Functional-movement ability, Fatigue, and Sedentary time, and fitness in 40 years and older active duty military personnel, Military Medicine, 178:12:1358-1364.
Huber, L., Kennedy-Armbruster, C., Yoke, M. (2013). The Health Education Monograph, Physical Activity and Public Health, 30:1, pg. 8-14.
Kennedy-Armbruster, C., Marquette, D., & Williams, D. (2011). Project Matrix: Fitness Educators and Fitness Equipment Manufacturers Working Together Innovatively. ACSM Health and Fitness Journal. July/Aug. 2011.
Huber, L., Allen, P. & Kennedy-Armbruster, C. (2010). Synergy and Sensibility: A Course on entrepreneurship in Gerotechnologies. Gerontology & Geriatrics Education. 31:181-197.
Kennedy-Armbruster, C., Huber, L. & Ona, F. (2009). Increasing Functional Fitness Using Internet-based Video Conferencing, ACSM Health and Fitness Journal, 13:3, 31-32.
Reis, J., Flegel, M., & Kennedy, C. (1996). An Assessment of Lower Back Pain in Young Adults: Implications for College Health Education. Journal of American College Health, 44(6), 289-293.
Kennedy, C., Reis, J., Bane, S., & Stang, J. (1995). A Comparison of Body Image Perceptions of Exercising and Nonexercising College Students. Wellness Perspectives Research, Theory, and Practice, 11(3).
Yoke, M. & Kennedy-Armbruster (2020) Methods of Group Exercise Instruction, Edition #4. Human Kinetics Publishers, Champaign, IL.
Armbruster, CA, Evans, EM, Sherwood-Laughlin, C. (2019) Fitness and Wellness: A way of life, Human Kinetics Publishers, Champaign, IL.
Exercise Prescription for the Apparently Healthy, ACSM Clinical Exercise Physiology textbook, Ch. 4. 2019
Group Exercise Programming - ACSM Resource Manual for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription 2010, 2007 & 2014.
Yoke, M. & Kennedy, C.A. (2004) Functional exercise progressions. Monterey, CA: Healthy Learning Publisher.
Kennedy, C.A., and Legel, D. (1992) Anatomy of an Exercise Class: An Exercise Educator's Handbook. Sagamore Publishing. Champaign, IL.