University of Utah, Ph.D., 2007
California State University, Chico, M.S., 2000
California State University, Chico, B.S., 1995
- Faculty Advisor, Wheelchair Basketball Club and Runway of Dreams Foundation Student Club
- President (2019-present) Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals, Therapy Leadership Council
- Secretary (2019-present) Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals, Governance Board
- Member (2018-present) Zappos Adaptive Advisory Council
- Associate Editor, Therapeutic Recreation Journal, 2014-present
- Advisory Committee Member, Paralyzed Veterans of Amerca Grant funded research project, 2014
- Steering Committee Member, Adapted Sport Club Bloomington, 2013-present
- Technical Expert, Center for Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Training Modules, 2012-present
- Associate Editor, Journal of Leisure Research, 2009-present
- Helped establish the inaugural wheelchair basketball club and Runway of Dreams Foundation student clubs on the IU campus
- Access on Campus Award (2019) Indiana University Bloomington, Services for Students with Disabilities
- Commitment to Inclusion Award (2018) Zappos Adaptive Advisory Council - Runway of Dreams Foundation
- Trustee Teaching Award, School of Public Health 2015
- David Austin Award in Recreational Therapy, 2014
- Outstanding Therapeutic Recreation Educator, California Parks and Recreation Society, 2010
- Grants exceeding $1 million in research dollars to examine recreational therapy interventions as a public health initiative
- National Institute of Health, Clinical Loan Repayment Grant, 2017
Dr. Piatt's research focuses on community-based rehabilitation -primary focus on sexual health and women living with a disability. She has published and presented on sexual health and currently received funds examining sexual health telemedicine.
Courses Currently/Recently Taught
- SPH-Y 560 Professional Development in Recreational Therapy
- SPH-Y 563 Consultation in Recreational Therapy
- SPH-Y 564 Advanced Facilitation Techniques in Recreational Therapy
Piatt, J. (2019). The missing recreational therapy facilitation technique; sexual health. American Journal of Recreational Therapy.
Eldridge, L., Piatt, J., Agley, J., Gerke, S. (2019). Relationship Between Substance use and the Onset of Spinal Cord Injuries: A Medical Chart Review. Topics in Spinal Cord.
Piatt, J., Knee, E., Eldridge, L., Burton, G. & Valentine, C. (accepted, 2019). The SCI Male: Sexual health after injury. Abstracts from the Academy of Spinal Cord Injury Professionals Annual Conference, September 2-5, 2019, Nashville, TN.
Piatt, J.A., Eldridge, L., Herbenick, D., & Knee, E. (2018). Sexuality and intimacy: What females with spinal cord injury Are Saying. American Journal of Recreational Therapy, 17(3), 25-35. DOI: 10.5055/ajrt.2018.0165
Piatt, J.A., Šabanović S., Nagata, S., Bennett, C. C., Kang, S., & Hakken, D. (2016) Socially Assistive Robots: A unique recreational therapy intervention for seniors with depression living in the community. American Journal of Recreational Therapy. DOI: 10.5055/ajrt.2016.000.
Piatt, J.A., Van Puymbroeck, M., Zahl, M., Rosenbluth, J., & Wells, M. (2016). Examining how the perception of health can impact participation and autonomy among adults with spinal cord injury. Topics in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation, 22(3), 165-172. Doi:10.1310/sci2203-165.
Piatt, J.A., Nagata, S., Zahl, M., Li, J., & Rosenbluth, J., (2015). Problematic secondary health conditions and its impact on social activities and daily life within a SCI population. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine. Doi: 10.1080/10790268.2015.1123845.
Piatt, J., Roark, M., Rimmer, J., McLachlin, L., Taylor, J., Erickson, B., & Zahl, M. (in press, 2014). The impact of disability sports camp on health related quality of life among youth with physical disabilities. Annual in Therapeutic Recreation.
Šabanović S., Bennett, C.C., Piatt, J.A., Chang, W., Hakken, D., Kang, S., & Ayer, D. (in press, 2014). Participatory design of socially assistive robots for preventive patient-centered healthcare. IEEE IROS Workshop on assistive robotics for individuals with disabilities. Chicago, IL.
Piatt, J., Wells, M.S., Rothwell, E., & Bell, S. (December 2014). Want it; Can't find it. The lack of sport opportunities for adolescents with physical disabilities. Palestra 28(3), 33-36.
Bennett, J.L., Van Puymbroeck, M., Piatt, J.A., & Rydell, R.J. (April 2014). Veteran's perceptions of benefits and important program components of a therapeutic fly-fishing program. Therapeutic Recreation Journal, 28(2), 169-187.
Knapp, D., Devine, M.A., Piatt, J., & Dawson, S. (December 2013). Examining social acceptance and quality of life at a camp for youth with physical disabilities. Children's Health Care. Doi: 10.1080/02739615.2013.870041
Piatt, J.A., Wells, M.S., Kang, S., Shinichi, N., Li, J., & Gambrall, M. (accepted, 2015). "Spirit in Motion": Understanding the outcomes of adapted sport participation. Symposium on Sports and Leisure Industry, Pan-Hellenic Association of Sport Economists & Managers (PASEM).
Rosenbluth, J. P., Campbell, C., McClary, V., Piatt, J. & Kari, T. (2018). Chapter 46: Recreation and Leisure Skills. In S. Burns & Kirsbaum, Spinal cord medicine, New York, NY:Springer Publishing Co.
Piatt, J.A. (2018). Physical Disabilities. In The SAGE encyclopedia of lifespan human development. SAGE Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781506307633
Piatt, J.A. & Dawson, S. (July 2014). Chapter 10: Pediatric practice. In Austin, Crawford, McCormick, & Van Puymbroeck: Recreational Therapy: An Introduction.