Pennsylvania State University, Ph.D., 1996
George Washington University, M.A., 1986
Chinese Culture University, B.A., 1982
- Editor-in-Chief and Founding Editor, Advances in Hospitality and Leisure
- Emerald Literati Network 2013 Award for Excellence: Leading Editor Award
- Principal Investigator, National Science Foundation grant (Amount= $275,000; Year =2010-2012)
- Co-investigator, Norwegian Research Council grant (Amount=$5.5 Million; Year=2009-2014)
- W. Bradford Wiley Memorial Research Award by the International Council of Hotel, Restaurant, and Institution Educator (2002)
- Best Article of the Year Award by the Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research (2000)
- Fulbright Senior Scholar by the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (2000)
- Social Impacts of Tourism
- Hospitality and Tourism Marketing
- Sustainability in Hospitality and Tourism.
Chen, J.S. (2014). Tourism stakeholders: attitudes toward sustainable development: A case in the Arctic. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Service, 22, 225-230.
Gursoy, D., Chen, J.S. & Chi, C. (2014) A theoretical examination of destination loyalty formation. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 26(5), 809-827.
Liu, G. & Chen, J.S. (2014). A dynamic model of managing culture tourism. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research.
Chen, J.S. & Wang, W. (2014). Foreign labors in Arctic destinations: seasonal workers: motivations and job skills. Current Issues in Tourism.
Chen, J.S., Johnson, C., Wang, W., & Chen, Y. (2014). Stakeholders: perspectives of sustainability in the Arctic region: A qualitative study. Tourism Analysis, 19(1)
Prenbensen, N., Chen, J.S., & Uysal, M. (2014). Creating experience value in tourism. CABI: Oxfordshire, UK.