University of Rochester, P.D., 1988
University of Michigan, Ph.D., 1986
University of Washington-Seattle, B.S., 1979
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., 1976
- Founding Director, Center for Research on Health Disparities, Indiana University, SPH, 2011-2020
- Director, Merrill Palmer Skillman Institute, Detroit MI, 2006-2008
Past External Grants (R01)
- "The costs and benefits of interventions for domestic violence," Agency for healthcare research quality 2000-2005
- "The intergenerational transmission of aggression in children," NIMH 1995-2000
My research area examines the origins and health impact of child and partner abuse. Recent studies include:
- HIV-AIDS risk and resilience among young South African women. A unique case-control interview study of 885 women ages 15-29 in South Africa to investigate risk factors for early onset of HIV.
- Racial inequalities in live birth outcomes and infant mortality in the State of Indiana. We are analyzing state datasets to examine factors which differentiate Black from White birth outcomes in the State including racial disparities in the access to neonatal infant care units and in the hospital staff ratios by race.
McCloskey LA & Eisler R. (in press) Family structure and family violence. In L. Kurtz (Ed) The Encyclopedia of Violence, Peace and Conflict. in press
McCloskey LA, Hitchcock S, Eloff I, Dinh P, & Masemola K. (2020) The role of reproductive coercion in women's risk for HIV: A case-control study of outpatients in Gauteng, South Africa. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics. 151(3):377-82.
McCloskey LA, Eloff I, Doran K. (2020) Determinants of intergenerational sexual relationships and HIV risk among South African women outpatients in Gauteng. AIDS care. Sep 23:1-9.
McCloskey LA. (2017) The intergenerational transmission of child maltreatment: Socio-ecological and psychological origins of maternal risk. In D. Teti (Ed) Parenting and Family Processes in Child Maltreatment and Intervention (Child Maltreatment Solutions Network) NY, NY: Springer Publishing.
McCloskey LA, Doran K, & Gerber M. (2016) The association of women's sterilization with intimate partner violence. Journal of Women's Health DOI: 10.1089/jwh.2015.5595
McCloskey LA, Boonzaier F, Steinbrenner S & Hunter T. (2016) Prevention and intervention programs addressing intimate partner violence in sub-Saharan Africa. Partner Abuse, 7, 277-315.